Yogi tea is a whole body tonic made from simple and medicinally charged ingredients. I often travel to Yoga Yoga in Austin, Texas where I completed my 200-hr RYT and am currently working on my 500-hr RYT — it was here that I first tasted and fell in love with this tea! If you have ever been to Yoga Yoga, you have probably tasted this tea — they serve it to each and every student that walks through the door. During teacher trainings we have a stocked supply for our enjoyment!
When I am home in Lubbock, Texas I make this tea often for yoga classes, workshops and special events. Each time I brew the tea — the aroma fills my entire home! — and I feel at home just as I do when I’m at Yoga Yoga.
Occasionally, students ask me to share the recipe.. so here it is!
The original recipe can be found on the Yoga Yoga Austin website! namaste
To make two quarts:
- 2 quarts water
- 15 whole cloves
- 20 black peppercorns
- 3 sticks of cinnamon
- 20 whole cardamon pods (split the pods first)
- 8 ginger slices (1/4″ thick, no need to peel)
- 1/2 teaspoon black tea leaves (optional)
- Milk and Honey to taste
1. Bring 2 quarts of water to a boil in a 3-4 quart pot. Add cloves and boil for one minute.
2. Add cardamon, peppercorns, cinnamon, and fresh ginger root to the pot.
3. Cover and boil for at least 30 minutes. For best flavor, cover and simmer for 2 to 3 hours! When ready, remove from heat, add black tea and let cool. Strain tea.
4. When ready to drink, add soy or dairy milk and sweeten to taste with honey.